ardent

here we see are trees... trees... and uh more trees!

navigation expansion



Rheum

Somnium

Master Navigator (333)

Master Healer (240)

An icon representing the specialty Poison Master Poison Master

age
2 Years
gender
Female
gems
0
size
Medium
build
Medium
posts
102
player
Bunni

Samhain 2022
03-10-2023, 10:32 PM


She had finally proven to her uncle that she was sufficient and old enough to help the pack expand. Her original plan had been to leave at a year old, but Rheum felt it necessary to stay and help out just a while longer. They were planning on expanding north into the oaks and her uncle, the Kaicho, Hattori Hanzo, needed help doing so. While they had already scouted for food, predators, healing items, and knowledge, they still needed more information on the terrain itself. The young girl was happy to do it.

It wasn't particularly hot that day as she led the group out into the forest. Tall oaks soared above her as their thin canopy shaded most of the light from the floor below. Moss covered most of the rocks and felled trees which gave them plenty of cushioning and allowed their steps to be nearly silent. The recent rain left most of the area damp which gave off a rather fresh scent that was almost sweet. In the nearby shadows and brush, she could occasionally see eyes peering out at her to see what a group of wolves was doing here. From what she could smell, wolves hadn't resided in the forest for a long time.

"Can an'one tell me an'thin' particular abou' the terrain?" She asks in her mother's thick accent. While her Japanese was getting better every day, she knew that maybe not everyone in the group would be proficient in it. As they enter a small grass and wild flower covered clearing, the plum-colored girl pauses to turn and look at her group.

Rheum Genji-Archer



Áskell

"Goes by Aka"

Somnium

Master Intellectual (240)

Expert Fighter (165)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

age
5 Years
gender
Male
gems
799
size
Medium
build
Balanced
posts
289
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022All Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Mammoth HunterIce Bridge Explorer
Pride - Pansexual1KDouble Master
03-11-2023, 03:40 PM

Áskell was in a better mood as autumn arrived and his injuries fully healed. He'd have the scars on the insides of his front legs for the rest of his life but he was moving forward physically and mentally. Tojo was still in the process of deciding whether or not to expand the pack boundaries into the ancient oaks. Rheum was leading the expedition today, a good chance for the girl to get some leadership experience.

Autumn was arriving in Auster, bringing with it the beginning of the rainy season. It had rained the night before and looking up at the gray sky he wondered if it might do so again. Numerous trees grew about the train. A number appeared to have fallen some time ago, possibly during past storms. A particularly large one covered in moss caught Áskell's attention. He strode over toward it. "These forests must be very old. I haven't seen trees this massive since the Redwood forests of the north."






Hanzō

Tojo-kai
Kaicho

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (240)

An icon representing the specialty Marauder Marauder

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

age
7 Years
gender
Male
gems
1524
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
posts
1,199
player
Ali

Samhain 2022Underachiever1KAll Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
WealthyVengeanceHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! GlobetrotterOverachieverLegendary
Ooh La LaHomebodyCritical Block!ExplorerPride - DemisexualWinner
Mammoth HunterIce Bridge ExplorerWordyDouble MasterCritical Hit!
03-12-2023, 02:32 PM

Hattori's gaze roved the scenery, before lingering on little Rhuem. Who was not so little any more. He would be sad to see her go, in his own way, but he understood why she wished to leave. Even more so appreciated that she wanted to lead the navigation team before going off on her own way. With Áskell doing better as well, Hattori knew it wouldn't take too long to get this over and done with, then they could truly claim the land as their own. He hummed in agreement, he has seen ancient trees like this before, far from here on distant shores.

"The storms that fell these trees must have been fierce." Hattori commented, noting how the wood had barely started to rot. Like they were determined to remain forever, as they were.


[Image: de83uxb-0342be6c-7454-4392-a336-72e10a43...s88RF1Wrtg]




Fuji

Tojo-kai
Yakuzaishi

Master Fighter (245)

Master Healer (250)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

age
3 Years
gender
Female
gems
535
size
Toy size
build
Heavy
posts
101
player
NachoMumma

1KSamhain 2022Statue 1 Worship
03-14-2023, 03:25 AM


Fuji would be sad to see her sister go, so when she had called the expedition, the smallest of their litter had made a point of coming along. She wasn't so set on adventure as her siblings seemed to be, and still thought she had more to learn of healing and fighting before striking out on her own. That and Hage made interesting company. She kinda liked that he was almost as small as she was too.

As Rheum asked them to note the terrain, of course she took in the trees and the stormy skies, the earthy, musty smell that permeated the air. But she also took note of the softness of the soil under her paws, and the lingering steaminess of air trapped under the canopy. “It always seems a bit wetter here, in the air, like the wind can't quite break through and clear it away like out in the bay. And if you get lost in here, there's no stars to find your way out. We'd need to organise markers, but it's probably worth making them different than the ones we use in the bamboo.” It was a bit easier to slip in here undetected after all, the thick, clattering walls of greenery didn't allow for much stealth unless you knew where you were going.

“Speech”

Just move those left feet, go ahead, get crazy
[Image: i0F1X8z.gif]



Rheum

Somnium

Master Navigator (333)

Master Healer (240)

An icon representing the specialty Poison Master Poison Master

age
2 Years
gender
Female
gems
0
size
Medium
build
Medium
posts
102
player
Bunni

Samhain 2022
03-14-2023, 05:01 PM


Her attending pack members varied in size and expertise just like their territories did. Small and fearless, her sister Fuji reminded her of the bay. Strong and quiet, Askell reminded her of the bamboo. Towering and stoic, her uncle Hanzo reminded her of the forest they now stood in. Each was a piece of the puzzle that made up Tojo-kai. She would miss all of them once she left, but for now, would enjoy their company. Rheum listened to each one mention a detail about the forest. A slow and firm nod of her muzzle would relay that they were correct.

"The felled trees woul' make good homes for some of the smaller members," she adds as she glances over at one of the trees. Its massive trunk sunk into the soft forest floor and while it clearly wasn't fully rotted through, it would probably not take much to hollow it out. "It bein' so wet 'ere would help expan' our plant garden, I'm sure mum would like that," Rheum smiles at Fuji while she reaches a paw out to dig at the dirt a little bit. Turning over a patch of moss and grass, she touches the dirt beneath it gently. Just moist enough that worms would survive and plants would have plenty to drink. "I think this would be a good forest for bringin' guests too and holdin' festivals if we don't wan' them out in the bay," her gaze turns to Askell and Hanzo for a moment. "Would the storms really be a concern if we expanded ou' 'ere?" She asks them since they would have weathered more than she or her sister.

Rheum Genji-Archer



Hanzō

Tojo-kai
Kaicho

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (240)

An icon representing the specialty Marauder Marauder

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

age
7 Years
gender
Male
gems
1524
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
posts
1,199
player
Ali

Samhain 2022Underachiever1KAll Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
WealthyVengeanceHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! GlobetrotterOverachieverLegendary
Ooh La LaHomebodyCritical Block!ExplorerPride - DemisexualWinner
Mammoth HunterIce Bridge ExplorerWordyDouble MasterCritical Hit!
03-20-2023, 08:49 AM

Hattori grunted in agreement, this place would not be the main hub of the pack, that role was taken by the Bamboo, but it would be a welcome addition all the same. A needed one, for with numbers came strength. He knew his family had desires of growing and expanding their lineage, he saw no reason to deny them once they had more room and thus more supplies. He took a moment to ruminate over Rhuems question, the storms must have been fierce here, once, but he did not think it would prove too much of an issue. Forests as ancient as this always recovered and moved on, even fires were not the end, simply a new beginning.

"I do not think so." He said quietly, but with an edge of certainty to his voice. "The trees that remain are sturdy, and if need be we can reinforce weakened trees should we notice them."


[Image: de83uxb-0342be6c-7454-4392-a336-72e10a43...s88RF1Wrtg]




Fuji

Tojo-kai
Yakuzaishi

Master Fighter (245)

Master Healer (250)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

age
3 Years
gender
Female
gems
535
size
Toy size
build
Heavy
posts
101
player
NachoMumma

1KSamhain 2022Statue 1 Worship
03-23-2023, 08:54 PM


Fuji listened intently to each of the points that were raised. Of course storms could be scary, but surely they would be ok. Worst case, if the weather turned bad, they could move back to the bay or into the bamboo. It wasn't that far. Tori's certainty relieved any lingering anxiety she may have had. She couldn't really wrap her head around how bad a storm would need to be to bring down trees this large.

She did perk up at the suggestion of festivals. She could see it all in her minds eye now, lanterns hanging from the trees in strings and the soft glow of fireflies. It may not be a raging bonfire like some places had, but there was a time and a place for everything (they could limit the fires to the bay if need be).

“What about water? Is there a stream or a creek?” not that it would be a deal breaker, but it might put a damper on things if they had to hike all the way to the bay for a drink, although perhaps if needed, they could craft something to catch the rain water...

“Speech”

Just move those left feet, go ahead, get crazy
[Image: i0F1X8z.gif]



Áskell

"Goes by Aka"

Somnium

Master Intellectual (240)

Expert Fighter (165)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

age
5 Years
gender
Male
gems
799
size
Medium
build
Balanced
posts
289
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022All Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Mammoth HunterIce Bridge Explorer
Pride - Pansexual1KDouble Master
03-25-2023, 08:56 PM

Áskell bent his head and crept closer to the large fallen tree, sniffing the area and taking in the scent of moss and various fungi. He nodded at Hattori's words then leapt up onto the log. Part of it broke away but most of it held firm. He walked along it then jumped down near the base of another tree. The roots of the second one stretched out far from the base, pushing up out of the ground then back into it. It was possible heavy rainfall had washed out some of the soil around it. "Digging dens under some of the larger roots could also be a possibility if we take measures to make sure water is diverted away from the dens during storms."

He shifted course back to the group. "It's so moist here I would assume this area gets a fair amount of rain so there should be pools of drinkable water around here. They probably collect in the lower areas. It might be possible to dig a pool near the den sites and see how it does with the rain, to see whether it fills up reliably or not."






Rheum

Somnium

Master Navigator (333)

Master Healer (240)

An icon representing the specialty Poison Master Poison Master

age
2 Years
gender
Female
gems
0
size
Medium
build
Medium
posts
102
player
Bunni

Samhain 2022
04-06-2023, 04:48 PM


Rheum had no doubt that Tojo-Kai would prosper by expanding to this ancient forest. As her gaze lingers on her uncle, she felt a bittersweet emotion. While she knows it is right for her to move on to other areas of Auster and Boreas, she knows that she will miss the bamboo the most. Next her gaze switches to Fuji, her sweet sweet sister. The girl smiles and nods as she too glances around. Surely water would be easy to find in such a damp forest.

Thankfully Askell agrees with their suspicions as he returns to the group. Rheum tilts her head lightly as he offers suggestions of digging dens and pools. “That’s a great idea. The root systems are formed enough that they should be sturdy for dens,” she gives Askell a hopeful smile before turning her attention on the whole group. “Alright, so it seems like we have our answers. Are we ready to return?”

Rheum Genji-Archer



Hanzō

Tojo-kai
Kaicho

Master Fighter (240)

Master Hunter (240)

An icon representing the specialty Marauder Marauder

An icon representing the specialty Bloodletter Bloodletter

age
7 Years
gender
Male
gems
1524
size
Dire wolf
build
Balanced
posts
1,199
player
Ali

Samhain 2022Underachiever1KAll Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3
WealthyVengeanceHow many times do I have to teach you a lesson?! GlobetrotterOverachieverLegendary
Ooh La LaHomebodyCritical Block!ExplorerPride - DemisexualWinner
Mammoth HunterIce Bridge ExplorerWordyDouble MasterCritical Hit!
04-07-2023, 05:34 PM

"It would be a useful supply of fresh water, since the Maze is somewhat lacking." A few streams could be found weaving through the forest but during the warmer seasons they weren't always reliable and sometimes even dried up. This territory would ease that concern considerably. "Then it is settled." Hattori nodded to himself, having deemed this more or less handled. This land would suit Tojo well, certainly now that they had cleared it out and ensured it was suitable for their need. "If any point you have any concerns you may come to speak to me. If you wish to den out here instead of the main territory, do let me know."

There was plenty of space for it and now knowing it was safe he was amenable to the idea.


[Image: de83uxb-0342be6c-7454-4392-a336-72e10a43...s88RF1Wrtg]




Fuji

Tojo-kai
Yakuzaishi

Master Fighter (245)

Master Healer (250)

An icon representing the specialty Knight Knight

age
3 Years
gender
Female
gems
535
size
Toy size
build
Heavy
posts
101
player
NachoMumma

1KSamhain 2022Statue 1 Worship
04-07-2023, 08:01 PM


While Fuju had her heart set on a garden out here, she wasn't quite ready to leave the whispering chatter that the bamboo provided as background noise. The trees here also whispered, but their titter was more of an old, low groan. With time, she would probably grow to love it as much as any other part of their territory, but for now, she was content to stay where she was. She gave her sister and the rest of the gathering a nod. It would be nice to have some extra space to call their own, and she looked forward to cementing their mark on it more permanently.

“Speech”

Just move those left feet, go ahead, get crazy
[Image: i0F1X8z.gif]



Áskell

"Goes by Aka"

Somnium

Master Intellectual (240)

Expert Fighter (165)

An icon representing the specialty Professor Professor

age
5 Years
gender
Male
gems
799
size
Medium
build
Balanced
posts
289
player
lunarcat7

Samhain 2022All Oozed OutThe Ooze ParticipantThe Ooze - Variation 3Mammoth HunterIce Bridge Explorer
Pride - Pansexual1KDouble Master
04-08-2023, 12:11 PM

Áskell glanced to Rheum as she spoke. He had to admit he was impressed with how she was growing and the responsibilities she was taking on even at such a young age. It'd taken him til he was a full adult to really feel like he was getting his shit together. He listened as Hattori spoke and then nodded. "I have nothing else to add." It would be good to add another territory and more hunting options for their group as well as extra room for living and training. With all the pups the pack was growing quickly. It would be an extra territory to patrol but with the new batch of yearlings they could start distributing tasks and getting the next generation trained up.







Thread Move Log
Thread Forum From To
1. here we see are trees... trees... and uh more trees! The Ancient Oaks 10:32 PM, 03-10-2023 03:12 AM, 08-18-2023